We are struggling about the best way to proceed to launch the site.
Ideally we would store in Wikidocumentaries what Wikidata does not provide. Without federation of data between Wikibases in place, it is impossible to use Wikidata resources seamlessly. Described below is the ideal situation and the workarounds to get the site up.
Initial data import
- No need to import anything initially. Wikidocumentaries would merge local properties with Wikidata properties, and local items with Wikidata items in searches, gadgets etc.
- Import all properties from Wikidata
- To reference items in Wikidata, it is possible to make a lookup in Wikidata and save the item locally with a reference to the Wikidata item
Anything below this line has not been updated
- Items and properties
- Topics, APIs
Questions to solve about data modelling for Wikidocumentaries
- What is created locally for a topic that has a corresponding item in Wikidata?
- Is there a way we can use Wikidata properties for items LIVE, without needing to define them locally?
- For values we would save the references
- Kimmo: The Wikidox properties should be named differently from Wikidata properties. Possibly a different range. Susanna: Discussed in Antwerpen meeting - to be handled with a reference.
Creating topics in Wikibase
Page = item in Wikidata and/or Wikidocumentaries. Each topic in Wikidocumentaries has a page.
- The initial set of topics in Wikidocumentaries are created by selecting a set of Wikidata items and creating them in Wikidocumentaries.
- When the user navigates to a page that does not exist in Wikidocumentaries, but for which there is an item in Wikidata (through a link in Wikipedia text for example), the page is automatically created.
- The user may create additional topics in Wikidocumentaries with a set of minimum required properties.
See more about Creating topics