The site reads topics from Wikidata. It stores additional topics in the local Wikibase.
When federation with Wikibases becomes available, we can start using this technology. Local items will use Wikidata properties to define the local topics and link to either local or Wikidata items.
Local items and properties
In addition to topics, Wikidocumentaries stores additional data:
- API definitions of various repositories where Wikidocumentaries expects to find content.
- Image metadata for "saved" images
- User data
- Projects data
- Collections data
- Local articles
Initial data import
- No need to import anything initially. Wikidocumentaries would merge local properties with Wikidata properties, and local items with Wikidata items in searches, gadgets etc.
- Import all properties from Wikidata
- To reference items in Wikidata, it is possible to make a lookup in Wikidata and save the item locally with a reference to the Wikidata item
Anything below this line has not been updated
- The scope of automatically created item may at some point be defined as a Shape Expression, which will probably be stored in the Federated Wikibases registry. This definition can help add whole thematic areas at once in a coordinated manner.
- The newly created items in Wikidocumentaries can be automatically imported to Wikidata, when they meet a certain criteria. This can also be expressed as a ShEx.
- What can be a realistic schedule for deploying Shape Expressions?
- Items and properties
- Topics, APIs
Questions to solve about data modelling for Wikidocumentaries
- What is created locally for a topic that has a corresponding item in Wikidata?
- Is there a way we can use Wikidata properties for items LIVE, without needing to define them locally?
- For values we would save the references
- Kimmo: The Wikidox properties should be named differently from Wikidata properties. Possibly a different range. Susanna: Discussed in Antwerpen meeting - to be handled with a reference.
Creating topics in Wikibase
Page = item in Wikidata and/or Wikidocumentaries. Each topic in Wikidocumentaries has a page.
- The initial set of topics in Wikidocumentaries are created by selecting a set of Wikidata items and creating them in Wikidocumentaries.
- When the user navigates to a page that does not exist in Wikidocumentaries, but for which there is an item in Wikidata (through a link in Wikipedia text for example), the page is automatically created.
- The user may create additional topics in Wikidocumentaries with a set of minimum required properties.
See more about Creating topics
|About||Technology||Design||Content modules||Tool pages|